Saturday, July 21, 2007

Hey Paula! Are you okay?

Oh no. I just realized my blog is turning into a Reality Show Rant Blog. Crap. What has my life come to? I. Am. A. Disappointment. Oh well...

Hey Paula! is seriously the best thing in reality TV right now. (Man alive, I'm going there...) Honestly, this is a must-watch-at-least-once reality show. I know I will only have more to say about this topic in the weeks to come but here's what I've got for now:

Last year I used to work with a woman at a job, where we had no lives and lived vicariously through trashy magazines- this is a terrible lifestyle, I do no recommend it to anyone! And, well, American Idol, was the workplace's centerpiece and all we did was talk about Paula Abdul... We even dubbed her "Crazy Aunt Paula" because she was always nice to everyone but "seemed" drunk at all times- kind of like that embarrassing aunt we all have that means well but we don't want to introduce her to anyone we know lest she say something. Already you may say, "This girl is pathetic." And I can only agree with you... But bear with me.

Let me begin with a quote from Paula Abdul herself: "I am sick and tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."

Um. Right. Even if I were in a pretty box with a shiny ribbon wrapped up all around it I don't think I'd ever refer to myself as a "gift"; but Paula did and oh boy is she right! What a true gift to be able to really get in there and experience Paula Abdul's more than pointless but hectic life...

Now, what is the point of this show? I think it's so we can all go: "*Sigh* That Paula Abdul, oh man does she work her butt off." Is it to set the record straight that she is not a druggie or an alkie? Who knows... Honestly it perpetuates the idea that Paula is a little more than "off". And okay, maybe she doesn't get drunk and maybe she doesn't take, what she refers to as "recreational drugs" but then something is seriously wrong with her. I think it's a great thing when people think drugs and alcohol abuse are the reasons behind the behavior of the "out of control" celebrity because there is an excuse, a reason, a way for this type of behavior. So what Paula is essentially saying is that "No I don't get drunk! No I don't use illegal drugs! I am this way naturally." Personally, I'd blame the drugs and alcohol if it were me, that way people don't think I am a lunatic.

I guess I can see what Paula is saying... Maybe it is unfair what the tabloids say... After all how are we supposed to know she was in an airplane crash? She's the one who never talked about it. She's the one who takes the painkillers and never opened up about it. Of course the public is going to think what they do- she's off her freakin' rocker! This woman cries if her hairstylist can't catch a flight to NY to meet her on Letterman, or if QVC doesn't give her, for gratis, some jewelry for her Idol contestants.

Maybe it's the lack of sleep though. Apparently, Paula doesn't sleep, ever. She claims she can't sleep for more than three hours a night, that is if she gets a chance to catch some shut eye- then she's up for 48 hours at a time. Sounds healthy to me.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I think it's time to overhaul Randy, Paula and Simon. I love AI, but week after week, year after year, they basically say the same things over and over again.
It's almost like you can predict what's going to come out of their mouths at any given second.
That being said, it appears that it really doesn't matter what they say. People are going to watch it, and make it one of the highest rated reality shows on TV.
I just want to see the producers shake it up a bit. Throw us a curve. Do something...anything!
Thus ends my AI rant. Thanks for getting me started! ;)

Stephanie said...

Between the tantrums and the druken rants dear old auntie Paula always manages to put a smile on me face.