Thursday, July 19, 2007

Age of Love... What they really meant to say is: Age of Lust

I don't know much about the history of this show... And by history I mean 5 weeks. I don't even know the "formula" of this reality show but who really needs to know all of that when this is supposed to represent some form of the real world anyway.

I caught "Age of Love" mid-episode, twentysomethings frolicking on the beach and a cougar throwing a fit under an umbrella. I didn't want to watch it but my friend had it recorded on DVR- I had no choice really.

My main problem with reality shows that feature a "bachelor" and a slew of "single" women is the kissing. Of course, it wouldn't be worth watching if Mark P. wasn't a slut of some form. But how is it attractive to watch the guy (you supposedly are in love with) making out with ten different women- in front of you? I mean, the worst part is, a twentysomething girl will be laying in his Moroccan cradle and he will tell her that his feelings are mutual, blah, blah blah and then he'll vanish for a half-an-hour with some fortysomething and feed her the same crap. Then he makes out and plays footsies and back scratch under the covers- with both of them at the same time. It's disturbing how this "famous" tennis player, who by the way has the suckiest Australian accent ever, thinks he is actually "caring" for these women... He just wants action and he'll kiss, touch, and sex `em all until he has found "the one".

Of course it needs to be said that the women on the show aren't very smart and are downright conniving. Perhaps they are playing the same game of Advantage - Love with Mark P that he is with them... It's only right that the 40s get their share of young lovin', they have the right.

And sadly, us, as a loyal audience will be so disappointed when we hear that him and the chosen lady have broken up. We must be aware that he and the winner are in hiding right now as I type this good-for-nothing vent. Then, when the story breaks, the media will be so "overwhelming" that they just can't take the scrutinization of the public microscope. Pathetic.

And I have one more complaint: where the heck was Mark Consuelos during the whole show? He wasn't even there for the elimination... Lame.

2 comments:

AZZITIZZ said...

I can't stand these so called reality shows, we are bombarded with them in the UK (there must be at least five or six a year!), If these are reality, then I must be living in some kind of opposite universe! We have one called Big Brother, what utter dross! You can even tune in in the early hours to watch these morons sleeping ALL NIGHT!!!!
Fans watch it (probably hoping for some hanky panky!) and seem to believe everything they see (they don't realise it is all scripted and therefore fake!) It is so screamingly obvious but the 'duh' brigade watch it faithfully. Sad really! Are their own lives so utterly boring that they have to watch someone elses?
;)

Graham Ettridge said...

I watch these programmes occasionally, more to laugh at how poor they are. We had a show like the one you posted about, in the UK. The funny thing is, the girl that the lucky contestant selected used to be a guy. I'd say it is trash TV, but I can sometimes be caught watching it out of the corner of my eye (please note that I will deny that last statement, if ever you bring it up in public...LOL!!!). Best wishes ~ Graham